Now that you’ve sent your memories to Southtree to get digitized, you’re probably wondering what to do next. Wonder no more, because I’m going to tell you exactly what you should do.
You should have a viewing party.
Viewing parties are a great way to make instant use of your newly digitized memories and share them with the people you love. Whether it’s friends, family, coworkers, or frenemies, hosting a viewing party is a wonderful way to relive your favorite memories with the people you care about most. Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat aren’t social media. Having a viewing party is the real social media.
Like any good soiree, a viewing party needs to bring the goods. Which goods, you ask? How about:
- Invitees - I can rip up a dance floor solo as well as the next guy, but a viewing party is only a party when guests attend. Invite your friends, family, frenemies, and neighbors to live vicariously through your past.
- Decorations - Are most of your newly digitized memories from the 70s? Go dance themed with platform shoes and a disco ball. 80s? Everyone should have huge hair. Decorate your place with a theme that matches your memories. It’ll be a blast from the past!
- Hor D'oeuvres - For the uncultured folks like me who don’t know what hor d’oeuvres means, it’s just a fancy way of saying food. Make sure you have stuff for your guests to munch on.
- Drinks - One thing about appetizers and party food is that it can make one quite parched. Make sure you have drinks ready for imbibing. Alcohol isn’t necessary, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t recommend it.
- No Cell Phone Policy - Make everyone hand over their cell phones on entry. You’re throwing a viewing party, not an “everyone stares at their cell phone” party. It can be like a coat check, but for phones instead.
- Goodie Bags - Tacking onto the decorations pointer, make fun goodie bags for everyone that match the party’s theme. It can be like an elementary birthday party, but for adults! How fun does that sound?
- Accessories - If you’re going with a themed viewing party, it’s a good idea to have accessories ready for folks that don’t dress up or play along with the theme. Wigs, glasses, clip-on earrings, and shiny plastic jewelry are all cheap and fun additions to any party.
- Smiles - A viewing party is for smiles. Tell your guests to leave their frowns at the door.
- Functioning Technology - If you’ve taken a high school or college class in the past 20 years, you’re familiar with the technology dance of an unprepared presenter. Don’t be that person. Give your projection method of choice a test drive before the party to make sure everything works well.
- Thank You Cards - With your newly digitized photos or videos, it’s really easy to make custom thank you cards online. Use one of your old photos for the front, put a personalized message on the inside, and stick a card in every goodie bag. It’ll be a perfect piece de resistance for what will undoubtedly be an amazing party.
The best parties are ones where everyone participates and has a good time. These suggestions are just that: suggestions. It’s good to plan a party, but it’s not good to rule it with an iron fist. These suggestions should just be general thought starters that help your party develop a life of its own. The point of a party isn’t for it to be perfect; it’s to have a good time. Give it room to breathe, and you’ll have an awesome time.
But definitely throw a viewing party.